Wednesday, May 19, 2010

more strawberries

with organic whipped cream

This recipe is from The Two Fat Ladies. I recently discovered that my day coworkers didn't know who the Two Fat Ladies were. Obviously I have to work harder share the joys of eating what the earth gave us.

The cake:
Preheat oven to 450 F

sift together
7 oz self-raising flour
1 oz ground almonds
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

rub in
6tblsp butter

mix in
3 oz sugar

stir in
one large beaten egg

mix in up to 1/2 cup milk

Dough should come out a bit like a scone. Divide into two and press each half into a buttered 8-inch round cake pan. Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.

Cool completely on a rack.

Topping:
Whip up 1/2 pint heavy cream with 1 tsp powdered sugar

Layer one cooled cake with lots of sliced strawberries, layer with cream then more strawberries.

If you want to be decadent and messy, put the other cake on top and do the same. You can serve more people a generous slice, though, if you make two piled up cakes like the ones pictured.

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Sounds divine!

mim said...

Thanks for the recipe. Saturday I purchased 2 big cartons of strawberries from the organic berry people at my farmers' market. Yum. My husband wanted to make a shortcake but didn't have time, so I bought some of Van's Belgian waffles and we put the strawberries on them with some whipped cream. Your recipe is definitely a good one and I'll share it with my guy. It's easy enough. Hooray for the Fat Ladies.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.