Homemade chewy granola bars is one of those recipes you see all over pinterest, often wrapped in slips of parchment paper, secured with red and white baker's twine, and wonder if they every turn out like anything you would like to eat.
I am pleased to say these do come out quite tasty, although there may be more sugar involved than you care to eat, at least there is not added salt !
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup scooped (not packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup sunflower seed butter
4 cups rolled oats
2 cups puffed rice cereal
3 tbls roughly chopped dark chocolate or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
large glass bowl
9 x 12 backing pan
foil to line and cover pan
- Melt first four ingredients in microwave on low/defrost for 2-3 minutes; stir until smooth.
- Toss together oats and rice cereal
- Pour wet ingredients into dry (except chocolate) and stir gently until coated.
- Press mixture into lined pan, sprinkle chocolate on top and gently press in with foil.
- Chill one our before cutting and serving
Makes 18 2"x 3" bars, which in my house is 9 servings