Saturday, June 4, 2011

Spring has sprung (and is almost done)!

I assure you these are not the gore-stained hands of a particularly tidy zombie who's just taken down another don - they are the hands of a woman who has just hulled twenty pounds of strawberries. The sidebar tally is not up this year - we gave up weighing after the first 130 pounds of strawberries harvested. By volume we're up to about 200. All I need to know is that I will be set with bright fresh strawberries from the freezer in February.


I've also spent a great deal of time getting yelled at every time I walk out the back door, by the momma robin who built her nest under my deck. I am quite possibly dying from the beady-eyed cuteness:


They are much more charming than the broody hen who's gone all bitchy and pecks at my arms everytime I try to steal her babies for my breakfast.

Also, my roses are in full bloom. I love my roses nearly as much as I love spring pea plants - possibly more, actually, since roses don't require harvesting.



And, lest you think they are tidy little tea-roses, here's the overgrown bush in all it's wild glory:

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.