Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What is it about red?

Specifically, what is it about red that weakens textiles? I remember reading off and on over the years about how, when preserving textiles, the greatest care needed to be taken with pinks and reds because they deteriorated fastest, but what is it about the chemicals that reflect red that makes it so dastardly?

I ask because I was quilting last night with some variegated thread and every time I hit a patch of pink, the pink broke apart and sheared off in the eye of the needle. Slowing down (and using a larger needle) helped to get my work done, but it still leaves me wondering, What is it about red?

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.