Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Squeeeeee! Green Mushroom Sprites!

I am a giant dork. I know that revelation is no surprise to the people who know me in real-life - whether you know the indie-comic reading, B-movie watching, or old school video-game playing me - or for anyone who has read this blog more than three times and has realized that I take way too much delight in the simple, the nerdy and Science Friday.
Needless to say, quality geekery - the kind of art that can only be made by dorks who are truly honouring their nerdy roots (not merely creating hackneyed reproductions of something popular) - tickles my dork soul to it's cold dark core.

Enter: Susie Ziegler.

If you have ever trolled through my recommended 'Fiber Art Blogs' reading list over on the left, you may have stumbled on Susie Can Stitch. She can do a lot of other things, too, matching me one granny craft for another, but her sewing machine skills definitely fall under the 'bad-ass' category.

She may also like the Mario just a little more than I do, as I have never expressed my love by graphing, pieceing, stitching, trimming or pressing a sprite.

The adventure was an excercise in using quilter's grid interfacing. For those of you who are not fabric nuts, a brief diversion - interfacing is a woven polyester fiber which may or may not have adhesive on one or both sides. It varies in thickness from barely thicker than tracing paper (like you would use to give body to a doll's skirt or cape up to 1/8 inch thick ridiculously sturdy stuff that you would use to make fabric bowls or hats.

Just like someone realized one day that the process could go a lot smoother if gift wrapping paper had a grid on it, someone realized one day that if your interfacing had a grid, your seams might line up right.

There's a whole great tutorial on using the grid interfacing at Craft Critique, but I'm just going to cut to the chase and spoil the surprise by sharing the sprite here. I mean, the common-or-garden dorks aren't reading this anyway, and the fabric nuts are already over at Craft Critique, so they will see it there anyway. Enjoy!


Obviously, if you want to find out how Susie made this, read her tutorial.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.